Friday 1 August 2014

C.D.R Special: A little glimmer of light in the darkness…

Four or five months ago in the beautiful city of Cape Town, I did get to interact with Boniface* a native from Uganda. It was the first time I actually got to speak Swahili in a foreign country and felt fucking good about it. Well, of course I am not that proficient so it was a bit broken. I digress. Boniface fled from home as soon as his family back home found out he was a homosexual. He was in dire straits until an opportunity availed itself and he found himself in the Cape where he stays with some of his fellow countrymen who were faced with such similar circumstances. He has no contact with anyone back at home and is not keen on heading back there either. This was shortly after the time H.E President Museveni had signed into law the Anti Homosexuality Bill and lest we forget, while at it gave us a lecture on how oral sex is disgusting making me question how some people really spice it up in the bedroom. Oral sex to me is like a greeting, no? Oops I digress again.

While at O.R Tambo International making my way back home, I also got to meet this delightful Airport official (a white South African queen) who was enchanted just by the sight of my passport and he said one thing, “Aww… I love your country, it’s not like Uganda where they don’t like people like me.” I do remember intimating to him that Uganda can’t be anywhere in my travel itinerary even though it’s like a stone throw away from my homeland. He smiled.

A while ago, one of you told me that Uganda will be the case study on the clamor for LGBT rights in Africa. He emphasized that despite her problems where the Government is policing among other things bedroom affairs, it would be an authority for the rest of us who think we are liberal in these things. Of course I rolled my eyes and sipped my smoothie telling him. “In your dreams”.
 
So earlier today, the Constitutional Court of Uganda overturned the harsh law by declaring it null and void and all that came to mind were the aforesaid gentlemen. I thought of Boniface’s family back in Uganda who definitely feel this Judgment is a slap on their faces. I thought of us, who have continued to boycott Uganda, I thought of sanctions enforced by some members of the international community, I thought of the Ugandans who fled their country to Kenya. I thought of the activists who have put their lives on the line to fight an Executive popularly viewed as despotic. I thought of a fucking lot of things…but a few things are clear, it’s a beautiful day for Human Rights activists; the journey has just began and (to play for the other side a bit) whichever way you look at it, just on the strength of this decision, the Ugandan Judiciary has struck a first for Sub Saharan Africa! I mean, we live in a continent where such bold “activist” decisions are frowned upon by the Executive and of course it’s likely to attract consequences but be that as it may, it will be interesting to see how this fight escalates to the Appeal Court. 
I am in high spirits as an LGBT identifying person, I feel like it’s my own battle. I tip my hat to the petitioners and say, Godspeed!
Succinctly put, this is a welcome little glimmer of light in the darkness…      

Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think about this article?