Monday 26 August 2013

A Journey I Admire from a distance…

‘Show me the man you honor, and I will know what kind of man you are.’ - Thomas Carlyle.


Last week after I left T.S.R I went to my college to defend my research project. Guess what? It was successful and I do hope for a D a.k.a Distinction. I did mention it screwed my brains out for 2 months or so, right? Well, that’s done and since I’m seeking advice from the Vanderbilt hunk, I feel I’m on the right track. Anyway, that’s beside the point. On my dedication page, I dedicated the whole works to my mother…in memoriam. It is in that regard that I shall pause here and note that exactly a year ago today, one Stephane - an ardent TSRian, friend and close confidant never woke up in his sleep. I do observe a minute’s silence in honour of his memory…

*****
Last Thursday, yours truly was added to Bryant McGill’s Public List of Aspiring People. Mr. McGill is an American Author, Speaker and Activist in the field of Self – Development, Personal Freedom and Human Rights. ‘I do feel humbled to be in your list of aspiring people. Thanks’ Were my sentiments in a quick rejoinder to the renowned author. The crux of this means myself and other individuals are urged to stop aspiring and start being as the world needs us. I get to benchmark with diverse and likeminded people. Small strides but awesome in a special way. The late Stephane would say, ‘Cole, you must be doing something right.’

I’ve been hesitant on this but I may as well intimate to you that this blog has about 7 months to go. I’m intending to adopt a more personal style in the coming days e.g. my struggles as a zega man, dreams, marriage (Oh LAWD!), coming out (??), boyfriends, milestones I’ve made et al. The status quo must be upset right. No?

*****

So, last week Wentworth Miller in a very passionate and carefully worded letter made it all clear that he’s out and proud. Okay. First things first, gay men: I hope you popped champagne to that while the women who’ve always made him a subject of their fantasies at some not so godly approved hours may as well have sipped their whiskey or scotch into oblivion - You lost this one bitches! I however still have reservations with the way foreign media had to report his age. Really guys? What's wrong with you? You don’t go about telling everyone in the world a gay man’s age. It’s against the code in a community where once someone hits the big 3, the volatile man market presents odds against him but well, like a finely matured gay man, Mr. Miller has kept well (No beer gut going on, face still awesome etc.) so on behalf of other gay men, I disregard reports on his age in entirety.

My point however is not on Miller’s coming out. Yeah, anyone with a keen eye would notice that there was no major sex/kissing with a girl scene that featured him in Prison break. I mean, it was a penitentiary. You people have heard of Anal Rape stories about these places. I just hope this cute hunk of a man never had to be the one to bend over to pick the soap. Oops. Focus Cole. In Mariah Carey’s ‘We belong together’ music video he carefully acts the part. No kissing. Nothing. 

So you now hate him because he kisses boys? There lies your problem. Take a seat. The letter is brief and to the point. Doesn’t skirt around issues and the timing is spot on just after the Russian athletes PDA in Moscow. Lesson learnt: He came out for a good cause. I have opined here and in other fora where I’ve interacted with out and proud homosexuals that Coming Out is a journey that a gay man has to go through. I’m still on this voyage. Lots of us are. Maybe I’ll never have to. Maybe I will. If your journey is cut short by someone outing you for their own selfish interests then that’s just unfortunate. However, the good thing is that they rarely get to keep you. It shows how… personal divine this journey is. It is against this backdrop that I salute the celebrities and renowned personalities whose coming out has been on an incremental trend in recent days. From Anderson Cooper to Frank Ocean, Jason Collins to wrestler Darren Young, Denis Nzioka to Leonard Mutisya and now Wentworth Miller, call it the New Normal but it shows that the journey cuts across the board and shows how human the whole gay subject is. Anytime someone comes out, I’m happy for his journey not because I have someone new face to drool over when pleasuring myself on dry days but because they just made the journey more bearable and/or easier. Took them time but they sure got there. The journey continues…

 
See you on Thursday; we talk about 3D – where D stands for Dimension!

Cole Mutahi

2 comments:

  1. I read about Wentworth's news with nostalgia (bite me :), and Darren Young's, and most certainly this article.

    You had to talk about the big 3 huh :) I hit my last leg of decade num 2 today, so next year I'll be hiding my face *hides* :)

    I wish you D for distinction in your exam and I hope to be there Thursday to read bout D for dimension.

    And did I say I read this article with nostalgia? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nostalgia is a huge word Joe. I'll definitely need you to indulge me further. You don't need to hide that face when you can superbly keep well like Mr. Miller above. The D(for the white paper)is imminent and thanks for the encouragement from earlier... I wrote the article with a free spirit but when I think of the journey...nostalgia kicks in. Thanks for stopping by - CM

      Delete

What did you think about this article?